- Main article: HostServ
A "vHost" (virtual host) is a vanity hostname that users may use instead of their default cloaked hostname. The nickname must first be registered in order to request a vHost.
- must contain a dot (aka
.) and can only contain alphanumeric characters, dots (
.) and dashes (
- must not contain an @ anywhere
- must not be an IP or IP look-a-like;
- must not resolve (basically, the vHost can't point to an actual site);
- Exception to this rule is if you own the domain. Please join #help and speak with an operator, you will need to prove domain ownership to us;
- must not contain any control codes (bold, color, underline, etc). Colored vHosts are only given out at staff discretion;
- must not be any instutional/co-operation lookalike (i.e, search.google.com or someguy.gov);
- must not contain the words 'ircop', 'admin', 'network', 'xertion', or any IRC Operator's nick;
- must not contain racist words (as to what is considered racist/derogatory, is at staff discretion);
- must not refer to other networks/spamming;
- must not refer to fraudulent activity. (DoSing, rooting, "carding," etc.)
Project cloaks are vHosts assigned to your group, such as
wikia/acwiki/username. These types of vHosts cannot be requested using the HostServ system. Project cloaks are assigned by an IRC operator directly. Join #help to have these assigned to you.
Requesting a vHost
Your nickname must first be registered in order to request a vHost.
To request a vHost:
/msg HostServ REQUEST your.vhost.here - replacing "your.vhost.here" with the custom virtual host you want.
Once approved, your vHost is automatically set and activated. If it is not, you can turn it on manually:
/msg HostServ ON
Things to know about the vHost system
- ALL vHosts are checked by a bot to ensure compliance with our vHost rules. They are then passed to staff for further verification and to await activation.
- Using a vHost to evade channel bans will likely result in a network ban from Xertion + your vHost being removed and/or banned from requesting vHosts for a set time.
- Please do not repeat your vHost request over and over. When you request a vHost, all staff are automatically notified. Repeatedly hammering the system with requests, be it because you are too impatient or think we forgot or otherwise, will result in automatic rejection of your request and/or a temporary suspension from the vHost system, or possibly more severe consequences.
- If your request passes the bot's checks, manual staff verification will usually occur within a few minutes to several hours, depending which staffers are available. We ask that you not constantly remind us of your request - this only serves to further frustrate us which might very well lead it to be rejected. Remember, ALL staffers see the request, you will HAVE to be patient!
- Last but not least, please don't experiment with different vHost requests in a short period of time, and please don't use the default examples. Pick a vHost and stick with it, if you must change it, please wait at least a week or two before requesting a new one.